Dr Tan is a unique Obstetrician and Gynaecologist in that he is qualified to perform gynaecological ultrasounds on his private patients. This allows Dr Tan to be able to assess, monitor and treat each patient at the one location and often in the same consultation, saving patients time and money. As Dr Tan is mainly focusing on obstetric cases, he is seeing patients for basic gynaecology only, however seeing Dr Tan for advice and a quality ultrasound will help patients in need of specialist care to decide which treatment is best and to help determine if surgery is actually needed. Dr Tan is able to refer onto Doctors who specialise in the area of concern for each patient.
Click on the title for more information:
Dr Tan offers pre-pregnancy consultations to couples prior to conceiving. This helps couples prepare for a pregnancy and get the best advice regarding pre-conception testing, monitoring of pregnancy and delivery. Dr Tan is able to perform investigations for the couple to provide them with all of the information they need for a healthy pregnancy. Some of these include:
- Pelvic ultrasound to assess pelvic pathology and health of the ovaries
- Antenatal blood work-up to ensure all immunisations are up to date
- Genetic testing (in the form of a blood test) for both partners to screen for genetic disorders/conditions such as cystic fibrosis, lung disease, muscle disease, developmental disorders and blood disorders.
- Dr Tan discusses the results with you and your partner and will talk you through any questions and future plans.
- Dr Tan also manages investigations for recurrent miscarriages and perinatal loss. This is normally in the form of blood tests, ultrasounds and counselling sessions with both partners.
One of the first investigations to be carried out for a gynaecology concern is a pelvic ultrasound. This gives your Doctor insight into the nature and pathology of the pelvic area. Dr Tan is the only Obstetrician Gynaecologist in Canberra with a Diploma of Diagnostic Ultrasound, which allows him to be able to provide an ultrasound and counselling session combined. Dr Tan is then able to discuss with you the best option of treatment and management for your condition/issue.
Pelvic ultrasound with Antral follicle count
A pelvic ultrasound with Antral Follicle count may be ordered from your specialist or Doctor to assess fertility, ovarian reserve and follicle tracking. This ultrasound is performed trans-vaginally in order to obtain the best view of the uterus and ovaries. Dr Tan will discuss your result with you at the time of your consultation and will send a report to your referring Doctor the same day of your ultrasound.